Sunday, August 24, 2008

Street Music

Have I yet mentioned how cool it is to find so many talented people performing in the parks and streets of New York?

On any given day, but Saturdays in particular, you'll come across singers, dancers and a variety of musicians on the corners, in the subways and in the middle of the squares. Some play for money, and some play just because they love it.

Let me clarify, before I move on, that not ALL street performers in New York are talented. In fact, some of them are downright creepy. However, the majority are enjoyable, and so as collective group, I salute them.

I've seen a flock of bongo players in the Grand Central subway station:



I've also seen an old rock n' roll guy riffing on the electric guitar on a subway platform. This weekend I heard a man playing Frank Sinatra songs on his trumpet on the corner of Broadway and 76th. Yesterday I saw a man and a woman playing an acoustic guitar and a metal wash board in Washington Square Park.

But my favorite performance that I've stumbled upon were the a capella singers in SoHo, but I'll let them speak for themselves:


See what I mean?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I am so glad that 6 of the last 7 posts either include a picture of the two of us or something that we did together. Best adventure ever!