Thursday, December 11, 2008

Thanksgiving, NYC YSA Style

Because, I'm the queen of catch up blogging...
Thanksgiving!

What do you do when you live too far away from your family to go home for Thanksgiving? You get everyone in your ward together that hasn't gone home... and you all learn to cook.

At first, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find people to have Thanksgiving with, however, I discovered that my fear was misplaced. We had a rousing group of 18 people who entusiastically RSVP'd, and then as we all started cooking there was a lot of, "Well, I've never done this before but I think..."

My yams and apples (a hardcore family tradition, which I have yet to perfect) were edible, but not stellar the way they are when Aunt Andrea makes them. Valerie did an impressive job with the turkey, Tony rocked the stuffing, but the really impressive feat were Eric's apple pies (which he constructed while on the phone with his mom while she walked him through it. Apparently, half the group called Eric's mom for cooking advice.)

In the end, all of the food was great. We laughed til we cried, ate til we got sick, and were very grateful to have friends to gather with and give thanks.
We named the turkey Snoopy... Don't ask me why...
Eric and Steve handle the manly business of turkey carving...
Luckily, Anne and I were on hand to cheer them on. Turkey carving is tough work...
THE SPREAD...
Filling up the plates in kitchen... (We had to go in shifts, 'cause there was no way we were fitting 21 people in that kitchen.)
Luckily, we could fit 21 people in the living room! (There is a gorgeous view of the Hudson River out that window.)
Post-turkey tryptofan coma...
Of course, it didn't take long for us to recover enough to eat dessert! Tony setting up the pies...
Eric, showing off one of his now-famous apple pies...
After eating and sitting around groaning in pain, a few of us made our way over to the Bishop's house where there was more dessert (which no one could manage to eat) and karaoke. I think the highlight of the day was watching Bishop and Sister Wilcox sing a cheesy 80's love duet.
SO much to be thankful for. :)

No comments: