Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hands on New York Day

New York City is chock full of service organizations. Tons of them. Soup kitchens, shelters, after school programs, pet rescue, good will... tons.

And it gives you a little more faith in humanity that people in the City feel so compelled to reach out and help one another. The largest service organization in the city is New York Cares, and once a year they host a Spring city clean up day, called Hands on New York. Since service and community are a big part of my belief system, and since my parents taught me that there's nothing like manual labor on a Saturday morning to start your weekend off right... I signed up to do my part.

It was the first really warm day of the year. 78 and sunny. Heavenly.

Although, I must admit, 8:30 is earlier than I usually like to be out and about on a Saturday. But 8:30 it was when I showed up down on 21st street and climbed into my assigned yellow school bus.**

(**A brief side note: When is the last time I rode in a yellow school bus??? Probably my last away soccer game of my junior year of high school... that's right, 10 years ago. Can I just say what an odd experience it was? Odd, yet nostalgic. I just can't seem to get over how small everything looked.)

So we boarded our bus and were transported to Pelham Bay Park, in the Brox, where we got to paint (! - When you get assigned to a city cleanup project, don't you always hope that you get to do something fun like painting? Rather than weeding? Anyway, I was excited) the wall that ran along the boardwalk.

Jane gets ready to paint...


Before...


After...


We had a blast. I got paint EVERYWHERE, but it was a good day.

Jane, Siobahn, and me...
Good times... no joke.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Siobhan? You know Siobhan? I love her. Please tell her hello for me! Hi Sarah. I check your blog from time to time and love to read it. I hope you are well.