Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cultural Kaleidoscope

One of the things that I've come to love about the city is the way that the world gathers here. Honestly, there is the most stunning kaleidoscope of cultures, customs, languages, foods, religions, clothing and mannerisms. It is something that I have come to love and appreciate more and more - at first it was almost too overwhelming to appreciate.

For example, this week...

Monday I met with the missionaries while they had a pre-baptism lesson with my friend Edward (he's getting baptized Saturday!). Edward is half Haitian, half Trini (as in Trinidad). Our other friend Kentor, who is Haitian as well, is also taking the discussions. After that, Edward and I caught a cab to FHE where I laughed until I cried with my friend Katarina, who is Ukrainian (she even went to Salt Lake to translate for conference!).

Tuesday, I hung out at work with my friend Lawrence who is half Polish, half Jamaican (of all things) and my friend Ray, who is Dominican. After work I went straight to the gym and met up with my new Moroccan personal trainer friend, Younes. After he had me doing squats until I could barely walk, we found a nearby Starbucks and he told me all kinds of stories about Morocco. On the way home I texted my friend Maurice, who is Greek, because it was his birthday.

On Friday I have a management meeting with our Senior Vice President, Cesar (Columbian), the Info Systems manager, Panos (Greek), the Digital Phone manager, Luigi (Italian), the Network manager, Amir (Israeli)... Just to name a few.

And you thought I was exagerating, didn't you?

6 comments:

luvmymunchkins said...

Good golly. That's crazy, yet very cool.

Cheryl said...

I just love visiting your blog, you have the best insights! It is so refreshing to see the city from your perspective. Thanks so much!

Sarah said...

I second your friend Cheryl. You are so insightful and appreciative of things most people either don't take time to notice or simply just take for granted. One of the many, many reasons I love you! :)

Alon said...

Luigi is the Digital Systems Director and he's also Greek. Janin is Argentinean, Paul Uppal is Indian, and so on :)

Michelle said...

the most ethnic diversity i get around here is the 2 brazilians in my ward. but let's be serious, that's not exactly diverse for me :)

Mel said...

Love it.
Love it love it love it.


I can't wait to visit you. I'm so jealous of mom in like a week and a half!