Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Male BBQ Obsession

I work with a bunch of MEN.

That's right, I am a lonely XX on a whole floor full of Y-chromosomes. It's true, I do Project Management for the IT department of Time Warner, and Information Technology is a clearly male dominated industry, so it makes sense, of course. But still, they're just so... male. Other than the occasional extra swear word and a lingering tendency to swagger, this doesn't really affect my job so much. Most of the time we all just go about our business and get the work done.

When it DOES become apparent however, is when we go to eat.

When I went to schedule the team dinner a month ago, where did they want to go? Wildwood Barbecue

When the vendor came to town and wanted to take us to dinner, where did they want to go? Angelo and Maxie's Steakhouse

When the boss came around and took a bunch of us to lunch today, where did they want to go? Duke's Roadhouse

Now, I'm not complaining exactly. The food at all of those places was fantastic. I'm just saying that for a girl who eats mostly vegetable soup and chicken salad, I find that for my entire life I have underestimated the male obsession with red meat. Hamburgers, steak, fillet mignon, ribs, pulled pork, pigs in a blanket, buffalo wings, and cheese steak with a side of bacon please. Of course it doesn't hurt that the food in New York is straight-up amazing... and we happen to work in the Flatiron District, known for its great restaurants.

Since I'm so hopelessly outnumbered on this one, I've taken up a "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" attitude.

Can you pass the BBQ sauce?

1 comment:

Heather and Aaron said...

Oh, and you forgot a side of ranch with your steak. Can you say "american salsa"?