Monday, October 27, 2008

The Weather Card

So, this weekend I had all kinds of grand plans... Riding the mechanical bull at Johnny Utah's, a dog costume parade in the West Village, Pumpkin Festival in Central Park, dinner at some chichi place in the Meat Packing District.

And then it rained.

Saturday was icky outside. Not only was the temperature in that awkward place between "not cold enough for a jacket" and "not warm enough for just a sweater," but the rain was sporadic, alternating between a freakish drizzle-mist and a full-on downpour. Add to that the wind, and it was a very nice day to NOT go outside.

In California, this would not have been a problem. From your house to the car, from the car to your destination, a little drizzle and a gust of breeze isn't going to put you out much. But here in New York, we walk... We walk everywhere.

And walking four blocks to the nearest subway station suddenly seems a whole lot further when you will be battling an umbrella that seems possesed with a desire to turn inside out.

So despite all of my grand plans, what did I do Saturday? I wrote my talk, spoke at a baptism and then curled up under my flannel covered down-comforter and day dreamed. which worked out great, because everyone that I had made plans with, called and said they were basically planning on doing the same thing.

Here's my point, in New York, the "weather card" is a totally viable play, as opposed to places where people drive cars, where I would say the "weather card" is weak sauce.

1 comment:

Mel said...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeak saaaaaaaaaaaaaaauce.



Once again I am reminded of our random rainstorm adventure in Washington DC. Hehe. I'd say in that situation we threw the weather card right out the window ;-) Why not, when your final destination is a hot shower in a hotel room, you're dressed like a Californian, and oh yeah, you're in your early teens and having a blast...

...I miss times like those!


Love you and miss you Bear!
-Meliss

P.S. I'm going to be 23 tomorrow.....weird....