Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Waverly Inn

I had heard of the Waverly Inn long before I moved to New York. It's known as a mysterious enclave of incredible food, rare availability and celebrity clientele.

In other words, it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a reservation there, and if you don't have a reservation... Ha! That's funny.

So imagine my surprise when my roommate Sarah informed me that she had reservations at the Waverly Inn, on Valentine's Day, of all days. That girl has some kind of crazy voodoo magic. You would not believe the stuff she is able to pull off.

So of course, I was wickedly jealous, though very excited for her.

Then the big weekend came around. Sarah's cousin Amaya came to town for their big adventure, all was going well, memories being made at every turn... and Sarah woke up on Valentine's Day with food poisoning. TRAGIC. All the hoping and saltines in the world could not get Sarah to keep her food down that day.

An hour or so before their reservation, she begged me to go in her place.

"I..... I can't do that to you!"
"Seriously, would you please?... I cannot cannot go."
"But I... I hate to do that to you, you've been planning this for like a month."
"I know, but if no one shows up, then I'll be black balled from the Waverly Inn forever and I'll NEVER get to go."
"... ... Oh K."

Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled about the chance to unravel the mystery of the Waverly Inn. Thrilled. I just hated hated hated that it had to be at the expense of my roommates health and happiness.

... but she begged, so I went. And it was, in fact, awesome.

Here it is... Down in the West Village on the corner of Waverly and Bank...


Our waiter was charming, the food was incredible, Amaya was a ton of fun and we chatted like old friends. I saw an actor from my favorite TV show, and my experience at the Waverly Inn was complete.

Amaya snapped one picture of dessert before we were scolded for taking pictures and asked to put the camera away.


Me and Amaya outside, after our fabulous evening...


It might have been one of the best Valentines ever.

5 comments:

Julie Bree said...

Sara,

I love you! Sounds like Valentines was fantastic. I'm jealous of all your lovely adventures!

Julie (Fuller) Bree

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you went and had an amazing time in my place! Thank you for sparing me from being Black Listed, I can't wait to go and have the capacity to actually keep my food down! :)

A. said...

Awwww.... I had a great time too! I'm so glad we got to share heart day together! :)

Brad and Erica said...

Wow -- life sounds exciting! Thanks so much for sharing your blog with us!

Unknown said...

Do you mind me asking what the prices were like? Planning to take my sister there and want to get a sense for how much I'll spend, including the alcohol. And prices are listed, right?