Monday, April 6, 2009

Car Service

Car service is my favorite way to get to work.

When I have to work anywhere other than my office in downtown Manhattan, my boss hands me a magical little piece of paper called a voucher. I call the phone number on the voucher and give them my address, and in the morning when I walk outside, there is a beautiful shiny black car waiting for me!

I climb in the back, say good morning to the driver, who is always very polite and sometimes even charming. Then I settle into the extremely comfortable seat with a sigh of blissful contentment, click my iphone to the Joshua Radin station on Pandora, and commence my driving tour of Manhattan.

My favorite part is always going over the bridges. I like being surrounded by water, the idea that it's always near by. And I still get a flicker of child-like happiness when I get a good view of the Manhattan skyline.

If the drive is long enough and the sun is shining, sometimes I doze off.

Eventually I arrive at my destination - remote and odd thought that destination may be (TW is not springing for the nice real estate in the outer boroughs) - comfortable, happy and wishing we had off site meetings everyday.

Now compare this experience to the hot or cold, hard-seated, sticky, smelly, crushing, crowded, disease ridden experience that is riding the subway.

Uh huh, that's what I thought.

3 comments:

Lizzie Jones said...

I want to switch you lives and that's all there is to it.

malia said...

nice! i am jealous.

A. said...

I'm definitely going to need a job in NY that has a car service... definitely. ;)