Sunday, April 26, 2009

Don Giovanni

Don Giovanni is the first opera that I saw and remains my favorite to this day. I've known it was playing at the Met this season and despite previously thwarted attempts to go and see it, I finally made it to the final performance of the season on Friday night.

(*Side Note: How AWESOME is it that I live 10 minutes from The Metrolpolitan Opera!?)

Don Giovanni is the story of the legendary Don Juan, who allegedy seduced over 1,100 women. Over the course of the three hour+ opera he tries to seduce the betrothed Donna Anna, kills the Commendatore, is pursued by Don Ottavio in vengence, dodges the scorned Donna Elvira, tries to seduce the peasant Zerlina while distracting her fiancee Massetto, while bantering with and abusing his servant Leporello and in the end is dragged down to hell after inviting the ghost of the Commendatore to dinner. Whoever said that opera is boring???

Aside from loving opera in general and this opera in particular, this is one of those things that I always imagined doing in New York. You know? Part of how I imagined the life of the young cultured urban professional that I wanted to be.

Every once in awhile I still get a kick out of the fact that I'm HERE, in NEW YORK CITY, living THIS life... and I think, how did this happen? The only answer I've been able to come up with so far is... it just did. Somehow it just happened.

And for the record, it's fabulous.

1 comment:

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

Your blog is so cute! :) It's really cool all the exciting things you are doing! Are you working in New York? What do you do??