Thursday, September 3, 2009

Mortality

I saw a dead body on the way to work this morning.

As I passed Madison Ave while walking down 23rd St I noticed a slight commotion with yellow caution tape and an emergency vehicle with flashing lights. This is not out of the ordinary, so I didn't take much notice until I saw the "Medical Examiner" lettering on the side of the vehicle and noticed the human form on the park bench covered in a white sheet.

That park is not too far from a methodone clinic, and it isn't rare to see some seriously tweaked out people along the benches at the edge of the park. This leads me to believe it was a drug related death rather than foul play. But still.

This was one New York experience that I didn't need to have.

2 comments:

A. said...

Omg! I saw it too! I work in Chelsea (19th/6th), and saw the sheet! Ugh. Not an OK NY experience -- agreed!

Mel said...

I find it kind of sad/odd that seeing a dead body doesn't have that effect on me anymore :-/

I guess that's the nature of the beast of where I've been and what I do...I figure, with as tough as it is sometimes, it's still better that I'm there than not. Somebody has to have the desire and capacity to do everything possible for the sick, injured, dying, dead, and their family...right?

Eh, such is life, lol.
Love you Bear.