Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Bowlmor Lanes

In my life I have had two notable, but un-remarkable experiences with bowling.

Firstly... I once went bowling with my uncle (four years older) and a bunch of his friends. I did so poorly that they nicknamed me Gutter Kid. And it stuck. But I didn't mind because they were cute older boys and I was getting attention. I was easy to please at 12. It wasn't glamorous, but it was fun.

Secondly... Occoasionally after class on Thursday nights during my MBA program, a bunch of us would go to the dive-bar-bowling-alley called Empire Bowl. We would decompress, sing karaoke, bowl and rehash our favorite moments from class. It was dive-y and murky but all we wanted was a place to kick back that didn't close at 10 pm. And we were satisfied.

But leave it to New York to make bowling classy.

Friday, Niels suggested that we get out and go bowling. Or "ten-pin bowling" as he referred to it in his Australian accent. So we made our way through the rain (yes, it was raining AGAIN) to Union Square, and up the elevator to Bowlmor Lanes.

Bowlmor is famous for its celebrity clientele, full bar, big TV screens and bowling-alley-meets-lounge-club atmosphere. It was seriously cool. Sadly, the cool factor did not improve my performance and Niels felt it appropriate to revive my former nick-name. Gee thanks.

Nonetheless, it was great fun and another memory for the books.

2 comments:

Heather and Aaron said...

Ahhhh yes. . . Gutter Kid. I remember those days. I believe it was my friend Paul Sittig who gave you that name. Funnily, that night of bowling was after my Eagle Scout Court of Honor. Remember?

Erin Carlstrom said...

I would like to call your attention to bowling for my 18th birthday in Reno. Just a little, friendly reminder of your earlier non-cool New York days and how much we, in CA love you.