Friday, September 18, 2009

Postcard from California

Dear New York,

You are a City of superlatives and contradictions. The most vibrant and the darkest, the most challenging and the most convenient, the most beautiful and the ugliest, the most affluent and the most impoverished, the most artistic and the most efficient, the east and the west, hope and despair - clustered into neighborhoods, reflecting the world. New York you are all of these things.

Thank you for opening your doors to me. Your doors, your cellars, your elevators, your stairwells, your turnstiles, your taxis. I have come to love your vibrating quality - the way the ground shakes with traffic and subways; the way the air buzzes with voices, electricity and opportunity.

Your textures are endless. The sights, smells, sounds and architecture are layered with seasons into unique and powerful moments. Little snapshots of life. I loved the texture of Madison Square Park at lunch time, and an unannounced summer rain storm as I walk down Broadway, and the blur of lights on a late night cab ride.

Manhattan you are a beautiful and messy collision of humanity. You are the whole world crammed onto one little island.

Thank you for allowing me to be a member of the eclectic teeming masses soaking up your ambiance.

I will miss you dearly.

with love,
Sara

1 comment:

Kristin Lea Robinson said...

I love your letter. I second on those wonderful things. We miss you in the neighborhood!

I need to catch up on my blog!

xoxo,

klr