Saturday, November 22, 2008

I like it in a box, I like it with a fox...

This is about to be the saddest day of my mother's life, because I'm here to tell you that I love New York, even in the cold, cold, cold dregs of winter.

The high today in my neighborhood is 30 degress and the low is 24... That means, 100% below freezing, all day long. I woke up with my window cracked, because the furnace in my room is out of control. I had brunch, went to the gym and picked up some shampoo on the way home. As I reached the last block before my apartment, I could feel my ears aching with cold (although the rest of me was fine, thanks to my goose down/faux fur jacket), and the winter afternoon sun making patchy spots of light on the sidewalk.

I sighed contentedly, even happily to myself, and then I thought, "Oh dear. I'm still happy here. I'm still really, really happy here. Even with the sharp wind blowing and my ears aching, I am still happy here."

If there was one thing that I thought could test and try my love for this city, it was winter. Being unaccustomed as I am to even the slightest chill, I was afraid that there was no love in the world that could make me happy in bad weather. Round 1: New York, 1, Winter, 0. Now, I'm not saying there won't come a day when I get on this little blog and go bezerck over some blizzard outside. But so far, so good.

And then I thought to myself, "I like in the cold, I like it in the sun. I like in the rain, I like it on a train. I like it in a box, I like it with a fox. I like it here or there, I like New York everywhere."

Sorry Mom.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I love that you are so happy there, and am so excited that you have found somewhere that is so you and you can call your own (even if it is an ENORMOUS city that lots of other people call their own too :-p ).

Yes, the bummer to that is that it's completely on the other side of the country, and I miss my big sis somethin' fierce...like a lot a lot a lot :(

But I'm so excited that you'll be here in less than a month! And we will have a chance to catch up that doesn't get interrupted by me going to class or you jumping on the train (NOT the subway hehe). And someday soon I will get to come visit you.

Anyway, this is long, and I'm sitting here enjoying one of the Cafe Society bacon breakfast burritos you reccommended (with the most amaaaaaaaaaazing salsa!) but I just wanted you to know that you are missed, but that I am filled with glee (yes I'm a nerd) that you are so happy there.


Lots of love,
your "little" sis,
Meliss