Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Law of Things Lost in Cabs

It is a truth universally acknowledge that if you ride in NYC Cabs long enough, eventually you will leave something behind. It may be something precious or something insignificant, something funtional or something sentimental... but it will be something.

Cell phones, of course, are the favorite. My friend Sara dropped her cell phone on the floor and it got kicked under a seat. Bummer. Luckily, in that case, the cab driver found it and when she called the phone, he made arrangements to bring it back to her. My friend Melissa left her iphone in a cab the day after she bought it. Unfortunately, it was never found. SUPER bummer.

Until recently I had done very well with keeping my wits and possession about me while exiting cabs, but such serenity and collectedness was never meant to last. Black scarf, sacrificed and sentto the place where all left socks, hair holders and things left in cabs go to rest.

The flip side of this, of course, is that occasionally you FIND odd things in cabs that have been left behind be the previous occupant. Once I found a cuban cigar, of all things.

My point is, and I do have a point, things get lost in cabs, they just do, so there is no use crying over spilled milk and long-gone black scarves.

C'est la vie.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Inside a cab, it seems you find a world unlike any other! Not just in New York but every where!The scariest cab drivers are in San Francisco but I enjoy visiting this world every chance that I get..I can only imagine what the lost and found dept looks like!