Saturday, August 29, 2009

It's the pinstripes

I am not a "sports" person, I have never been a "sports" person. That was always my sister Melissa's territory. I played my 12 years of soccer (sometimes grumpily), put in a short stint at tennis, swimming, cross country and golf... but I certainly never took an interest in following professional sports. And I barely tolerated with good humor the protracted dinner-table discussions about water-polo and softball. I am a book person, and I have always been a book person.

And so one of the more suprising, even shocking, developments to arise out of my time in New York is my new-found passion for the Yankees. Now let's not get carried away here, notice I did not say baseball, I said the Yankees. I don't follow any other teams (unless they are playing the Red Sox), but when I got to the city and took one look at those pinstripes it was love.

And can I just say? There is NOTHING so fun as taking off work on a week-day to go to a game, eat hot dogs and cheer for the best team in all of sports.

Hall of Legends...
The new stadium is beautiful...
Johnny Damon!
Me and Niels, in full uniform...
Thank goodness my favorite Yankees fan has lots of extra vacation days saved up!

No comments: