Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Addicted to Walking

I love walking. And when I say I love walking, I mean I LOVE walking.

This is one of the more unexpected developments of my urban lifestyle. I suspected of course, that I would become accustomed to walking, but I never expected that I would get off the subway three stops early on purpose, just so I could walk further before going home.

It started small, you understand, just an innocent decision to walk the avenue blocks between my subway stop and my office, because who knew how long the bus would take to get there... And then one day, even though, as I came out of the subway, the bus was right there waiting for me, I thought... nah, I'll walk.

And that's when things started getting out of control.

Next thing you know I was inventing reasons to walk down to the corner store, and then getting there, deciding that I'd rather walk to the next one three blocks down. Then, I started walking for two subway stops before getting on the subway after work, and now, I've started getting off early as well. It's gotten to the point where, unless its more than 20 blocks and I'm in a great hurry, I'll walk. In fact, the possibility of lateness is the only thing that keeps me from walking everywhere, all the time.

Maybe, if I get up early enough, I could walk all the way from home to work, I mean, it's only 84 blocks...

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I could not agree more with this post--WALKING RULES!!!! Your New Yorker side is shining through quickly. :)

Anonymous said...

NEWLY ADDICTED TO WALKING....ITS SO LIBERATING, JUST GET UP, GET DRESSED, BRUSH TEETH, DRINK WATER AND MAYBE SOME FRUIT. GRAB MY LIL YORKIE AND LEASH......AND GOOOO!!!

Barry Bliss said...

Walked 5 miles to work yesterday.
Leave early enough and you can walk anywhere.
It's like an adventure and when I arrive my bodies all pumped up, I've gotten lots of sunlight (vitamin d) and have this sense of ruddiness/naturalness.
Walking rocks.