Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Silly Things

1. Subway stations are like saunas. Hot, sticky, and queer smelling. The longer you sit in them, the more intensely uncomfortable they become. Therefore, one of my favorite things has become the WHOOSH of passing express trains. It is one of the true delights of the urban landscape.

2. Today on the subway, the 1 line going Uptown to be exact, a man got on and stood right in front of me in a pin stripe suit. I'm somewhat partial to pin stripes, so it catches my attention and after a second I realize, the pin stripes are PINK; and not baby pink, Barbie pink. They were subtle and the effect was mesmerizing... I couldn't stop looking at the suit. I was disappointed when he got off and my trance was broken. *Note to self: Buy something with pink pin stripes.

3. Today, I got the Davey Crockett song stuck in my head.... that's right, Davey Crockett. NO IDEA how THAT happened, but there I was, walking down the street singing in my head: "Davey, Davey Crockett, Man who don't know fear; Davey, Davey Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier." And now you can too. Ha.

4. I love making new playlists for my ipod. Because of the amount of train riding and city walking that I accomplish in any given day, my playlists get played out pretty quickly. So lately, I've taken to making theme playlists:
For example, today we listened to "Freedom," containing all songs in my library with "free" in the title. Another favorite is the playlist, "Sweeeeet," containing songs whose titles reference sweet, sugar, or honey. There is also a "Black and White" playlist, "You break it, you bought it" (all with "break" somewhere in the title), and last but not least "Baby, baby, baby" (a nod to June Carter in "Walk the Line") which includes all references to, you guessed it, "baby."
Because all of these simple searches yield rather lengthy collections of songs, I'm led to believe that the musicians and lyricists of the world could all use a thesaurus or two.


All I'm really saying is, if you get bored in this city, your imagination is getting a little rusty.

No comments: