Saturday, June 7, 2008

Cupcakes and a Pony Ride

I had my first surprise, "I love this City," moment today...


I was walking all over my neighborhood trying to track down the components that I needed to put coverings over my windows: fabric, nails and a hammer. Now, in California, all of these things could be obtained at one simple location. In FACT, there are several different locations that would have accomodated my needs in one fell swoop. But not here. My fabric, nails and hammer all had to be tracked down at different locations all within a 12 block radius of my apartment.


So, as I was tromping up and down Amsterdam Avenue, melting slowly with each step, I happened quite unexpectedly came across a children's fair. 91st Street had been closed down between Amsterdam and Columbus and all up and down there were munchkins running about riding ponies, faces painted, eating cupcakes and corn on the cob. A children's fair!


Just in case my description failed to capture the joy and charm of the moment, I took a picture:



I saw no Tom Hanks and no goldfish, but I kinda like my story better anyhow.

No comments: