Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rothko And The Tomato Soup

After doing some work with my fabulous blackboxboys back in California this morning, I went downtown to sign some paperwork for my new job and then decided to make use of my residence in the cultural capital of the world and spent the rest of the afternoon at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.



It has been one of my goals for quite some time to see an actual painting done by my favorite artist Mark Rothko. His work is surprisingly difficult to find, however today, with the help of Dan the Security Guard, I prevailed. See...



Here are some of the other highlights of the trip...

Jackson Pollock:
Van Gogh:
Andy Warhol, that's right, its THE original Tomato Soup:
I was nearly moved to tears when Dan the Security Guard told me that the museum was closing and I had to leave. No amount of eyelash batting could get him to let me sneak behind a sculpture to stay for awhile longer, so I left with a vow to return again... Which I can do whenever I want because I'm three subway stops and one bus ride away!
Ha! I love this town.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You went without me?! Good thing you're planning to go back because next time I will be there!

Mel said...

Ahhhh....amazing.

You are going to have to go a third time after Michelle goes with you, because whenever I manage to visit my big New Yorker sis, we are going.

It's going to be our thing now, just so you know, art museums :)

tmataitusi said...

Did you know Van Gogh is my favorite artist? LOVE IT! A dream of mine: A "Night at the Museum," sleeping with the masters! (Their work, that is!)