Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Crash Goes the Market

"The Market" is kind of a big deal around here. Some of my favorite people in the city live on Wall Street, just a block from the New York Stock Exchange. A lot of people that I know work in finance, many of them at Goldman Sachs, Credit Suisse, Lehmans, Merrill Lynch... maybe you've heard of them?

So it isn't surprising that the number one topic of conversation these days revolves around the economic mayhem sweeping the country. (Well, at least sweeping Manhattan. Quite honestly, if it swept the rest of the country, I'm not sure we'd notice.) I can't tell you how many times in the last two weeks I've been grateful that I studied finance as my MBA emphasis. I would have been LOST in 80% of the conversations this week without it.

The good news is that, other than a sense of outrage at the government, no one seems to be taking it too badly. Both of the guys I know that work(ed) for Lehmans seem to have a good sense of humor about it. In fact, they seem to be enjoying their relaxed schedule and the opportunity to search out other opportunities. Go figure.

So that's my report from the economic red zone. 10-4, over and out.

No comments: