Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Go West, Young Man

"Go West, Young Man," is a phrase that was popularized in the nineteenth-centurty by journalist Horace Greely, though it was originally authored by the writer John Soule. The phrase was commonly used to refer to the abundant opportunities on the expanding American frontier.

In June, when I arrived in Manhattan, I was debating about whether or not to start a blog, and aside from the time it would require, and whether I felt like I had enough to say to keep it interesting, my number one concern was what to call it.

All of this I confessed to my friend Brian over IM one night, and Brian (who has extensive blogging experience and several cleverly named blogs - my favorite of which is called "Diet Coke for Breakfast") came up with the "Go East, Young Woman."

I grudingly admitted that it was terribly clever, and perfectly suited to the idea and the purpose behind the blog, which was to share with friends, family, and whoever else was interested - just what it was like to pick up a life and move to the most dynamic city in the world.

So, I'll give Brian his nod of credit (even with his brilliant contribution, I'm not sure he reads it much), and that's the story of how the blog was named.

"Go East, Young Woman"... yeah, it's pretty much perfect.

Fine Brian, I'll say it: You were right.

... This time.

2 comments:

B. Cook said...

I usually am...

Rachael Hutchings said...

Bravo Brian, the name is brilliant.