Friday, September 5, 2008

Taking in a Tennis Game

The US Open, one of the great grand-slam tennis tournaments, and it takes place in a little borough called Brooklyn. During the US Open, New York becomes very suddenly very enthusiastic about tennis.

Now, I love tennis. My dad was a teenage tennis star, I played when I was a kid, and I grew up watching Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi.

So it made my day today, when I walked across the street to Bryant Park on my lunch hour to eat my little salad and they were broadcasting the US Open. They had two sets of bleachers set up and a really big screen. They had even covered the middle of the square in astro turf (which didn't make a lot of sense, because they play on clay in the US Open and they play on grass at Wimbledon, but whatever).

So over my chicken, walnut, cranberry and bleu cheese salad, I took in a mixed doubles game and marveled anew at how TOTALLY cool it is to live in New York.

No comments: