Sunday, September 21, 2008

Randy Stern and O'Flaherty's

A few weeks ago, I was on the 1 train headed uptown from Union Square after the CES fireside broadcast. A few stops up, a white guy with floppy hair got on the train with his guitar and started playing. At frst I didn't pay much attention, because crazies randomly walk onto the subway and start singing and playing for money all the time.

But after a few seconds, I realized this guy was actually GOOD. He played and sang, "Here Comes the Sun," and I was really impressed. I wondered why a guy who was so clearly talented would be playing in the subway... When he was done with the song, I kinda wanted him to keep playing. He explained briefly that he had a CD coming out and that he played in a bar on the West Side every Thursday night. So I took one of the cards that he was passing out with the address of the bar and his name and schedule.

So this Thursday, when Melissa and I were looking for something to do, I remembered Randy!

We made our way down to restaurant row in time to grab a bite at Bourbon Grill (really fun place with a New Orleans theme and a hip-but-chill vibe), and then scooted over to O'Flaherty's in time for Randy's first set.

O'Flaherty's is a great place. As Melissa and I sat down at a table in the drop lounge, we both commented on how it didn't really feel like New York. The place felt like half old-town pub, half grandpa's-old-library, relaxed, kick-back, no pretentions. Loved it. There were book shevles lining most of the walls, with dusty old volumes and random knick-knacks crammed in between. The bartender looked like he'd been doing this every night for 30 years.

You can see some pictures of the place here: http://oflahertysnyc.com/media/oflahertys.html

Randy played a great set - I was pleased to find that he was just as talented as I thought. Melissa and I mostly just kicked back and enjoyed it. Then there was a group of guys playing pool, so we made friends with them as well. One of them even sings reggae, so he got in on a few songs with Randy. After his first set, we got to sit and chat with Randy for a bit. He was really excited that we came after I heard him on the subway. He started his second set and we played another round of pool. We were having so much fun we accidentally stayed out a little later than we had planned on - but if you can't be stupid and stay out late on a week night in your mid-twenties, then when can you?

This is Randy, by the way:



And Randy's website: http://www.randystern.info/

So now I'm a groupie for Robbie Gil and Randy Stern.

I LOVE this town.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I can't wait to do stuff like this with you!

I only have a quick minute here, and I just wanted you to know I'm still reading your blog (quite faithfully actually!)

Miss you Bear!

LYL
-Mel

Mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.