Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Women

The Relief Society is an international organization of women united in their desire to provide relief where there is suffering, light where there is darkness, faith where there is doubt, and hope where there is despair. From the first group of 18 women that gathered together in Nauvoo, Illinois in 1842, it has grown to include more than 5.2 million women in over 170 countries. It is the largest organization of its kind.

The Relief Society was heavily involved in the women's suffrage movement in the late 1800's and committed to ensuring that women had the legal right to vote and to hold public office. They provided extensive relief aid during World War II. Since 1888, the Relief Society has also been a charter member of the National Council of Women in the United States, who's purpose is as stated:

"We, the women of the United States, sincerely believe that the best good of our homes and nation will be advanced with our greater unity of thought and purpose that an organized movement of women will best conserve the highest good of the family and state, do hereby band ourselves together in a confederation of workers committed to the overthrow of all forms of ignorance and injustice, and to the Golden Rule of society, custom and law."

The women of the Relief Society mourn with those who mourn, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort; they stand for what they know to be good and right in a world where truth and virtue are incresingly frowned upon. They care for one another, inspire one another, and support one another. In my experience, they are an electic and diverse group of women - from all imaginable backgrounds and all walks of life - but they are bound together by their love of God and their desire to serve. Their motto is "Charity Never Faileth."

Once a year, there is a General Relief Society broadcast, where those 5.2 million women gather to receive inspiration and instruction. As I sat in the chapel tonight, during the broadcast, I looked around the room at the incredible women with whom it is my pleasure to associate, and I felt honored to be one of them, and blessed to be part of this organization of Sisters. Particularly in New York City, where the culture is so anti-family and anti-marriage - I was so impressed with the women here who fight for both marriage and for family.

Even though I'm here New York City, thousands of miles away from most of those 5.2 millions women world-wide, I know that we're all in this together, and somehow that makes it easier.

I saw that movie that's out in the theatres right now, The Women. I liked it. It made me feel like being a woman meant that I was a part of something. Tonight I felt that again - but better and stronger and deeper - and this time, in addition to that feeling of community, there was also a sense of purpose and a clarity of vision too.

I love being a girl, and part of the incredible legacy of all of the women who have come before me.

1 comment:

tmataitusi said...

Thank you for the beautiful summary. I loved the evening as well, and felt a kinship with Pres. Uchtdorf! I'm immensely proud to be part of this great organization of fantastic women! There is absolutely nothing like it!!!