Saturday, September 13, 2008

Saturday on the Upper West Side

Happy Saturday Blogosphere.

Fall is creeping into the air in New York, and today was lovely.

I slept in, did laundry, and wrote in my journal over lunch at the cafe on the corner. I get a little bit giddy inside when I go through this little routine. Maybe because it's what I always imagined life in New York to be like, and its one of those rare times in life when something turns out exactly the way you expected. It has become my favorite way to spend a Saturday.

The cafe on the corner is called Zanny's. They have a steady stream of students and locals all day, stopping in for their coffee, muffins, omlettes, wraps and salads. The two walls that face the two streets have huge windows and a window seat that makes a big L-shape in the corner. There are maybe six tables in the whole place, and most of them wobble. The wall by the door is covered in a collection of photography, taken by the owner, I believe. The pictures are mostly of exotic landscapes, and each is labeled with its location - Tanzania, South Africa, Yellowstone. The music they play is catchy, but not trendy. A lot of people sit and read the newspaper, and occasionally very large text books. The menu board above the counter is drawn up in brightly colorerd chalk, and the "L" in salad is a big carrot. Inside it smells like coffee, alfalfa sprouts and mango chutney - don't ask me why.

I always go in around noon, get a wrap and sit in the window and scribble a little bit about my week. Mostly I get distracted from my writing by all of the people watching.

Afte the laundry was folded I cleaned the bathroom, and now my hands feel all rough from the bleach. Now I'm going on a walk through Riverside Park and then I'm going indulge and watch a cheesy movie. Happy Saturday indeed.

3 comments:

luvmymunchkins said...

That sounds like bliss. A very cool single life you're living. One question - You didn't watch the awesome BYU football game? Well, if I hadn't married someone who took the time to explain it to me, and then hunt down a way to watch it this season, I probably would be enjoying my day just like you. I love reading your posts, they sound just like you. :)

Michelle said...

i love that i can picture exactly how your saturday went down. i love that i know these places! can't wait to get back to that world. how soon does next summer come?

Rachael Hutchings said...

Sounds wonderfully relaxing! We took an excited 21-month-old to Sea World for the first time. Not so relaxing, but fun nevertheless.