Friday, September 12, 2008

Meeting up with Mitt

I saw Mitt Romney.

Last Sunday, as I was walking into the Upper East Side church building, he was walking out. I mean, I almost ran into him. Then I looked up and saw his wife and his entire family - sons, daughters-in-law, grandkids.

This is New York, and un-famous people mingle with famous people left and right. Everyone I know has seen Sarah Jessica Parker at least once. In parks and in restaurants, walking down the street - they're everywhere.

Celebrities don't really impress me much - if I saw SJP on the street, I'd probably think, "Cool," and keep walking.

But not Mitt. My jaw hit the pavement, I did a triple take and remained speechless for 15 mins. It was very dorky of me, but at least I didn't run up and paw him, asking for an autograph... and I don't need a picture, because I already have one.

See, I got really into Govenor Romney's presidential campaign. I was very sad for a week when he dropped out of the race. I loved his politics, I thought he was highly qualified, in addition to being brilliant, and I REALLY wanted him to be President.

So you can understand why I was so excited to see him. Mitt and me, going to church.

1 comment:

B. Cook said...

You know, there is a middle-ground... you could have walked up to him and said hello and told him how much respect you have for him.

I did that with Gerald Ford once, and it was one of the most memorable experiences of my life.